Always Use Caution When Handling Dry Ice!

Handling

Dry ice is -109º F, which is cold enough to freeze skin cells causing an injury similar to a burn. Never allow dry ice to come in contact with skin. Always handle dry ice with protective gloves or a towel.

Ventilation

Dry ice converts to carbon dioxide gas. If left in a confined space, the carbon dioxide gas will displace oxygen and present a suffocation hazard. If dry ice has been in a confined space (e.g. a closed car or room) for more than 10 minutes, open the doors and windows before entering or you could experience difficulty breathing. Leave the area immediately if you start to breathe quickly or have any difficulty breathing.

Storage

Do not store dry ice in a container that is completely airtight. When dry ice sublimates to carbon dioxide gas, the gas pressure greatly expands. This expansion will cause an airtight container to expand and possibly explode.